»

Sunday, July 25, 2010

In My Mailbox (2)

Well here it is! I told you guys that this week would probably be a good one for IMM and...it was! Unfortunately, I went on vacation with a limited supply of money so I only bought three books. But that's okay, because they all look good! And here they are...

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...



A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

This is a book I heard about at school, actually... We did a series of book reports and one girl did hers on If I Stay. It looked super good so I tried for weeks and weeks and weeks to get it out of the library but I couldn't get my hands on it. So I finally bought it. It looks really promising and I will certainly have a review up, good or bad.

-------------------------------------------

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

You heard plenty about this one from me, since I did a review like two days after I got it. But...here's a summary in case you didn't read that one. Then once you read this, you can go ahead and read it. (Laurie Halse Anderson did, and thanked me on Twitter, btw!)

High school senior Tyler Miller used to be the kind of guy who faded into the background - average student, average looks, average dysfunctional family. But since he got busted for doing graffiti on the school, and spent the summer doing outdoor work to pay for it, he stands out like you wouldn't believe.

His new physique attracts the attention of queen bee Bethany Milbury, who just so happens to be his fathers boss's daughter, the sister of his biggest enemy and Tyler's secret crush. And that sets off a string of events and changes that have Tyler questioning his place in the school, in his family, and in the world.

In Twisted, the acclaimed Laurie Halse Anderson tackles a very controversial subject: what it means to be a man today. Fans and new readers alike will be captured by Tyler's pitch perfect, funny voice, the surprising narrative arc, and the thoughtful moral dilemmas that are at the heart of all of the authors award-winning, widely read work.

No further comment... If you would like to read my review of that one, you can check it out here.


-------------------------------------------

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Miranda's disbelief turns to fear in a split second when an asteroid knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.

In her journal, Miranda records the events of each desperate day, while she and her family struggle to hold on to their most priceless resource--hope.

This one looked really cool... I thought it would be fun to read something a little different, as the novel is a sci-fi kind of novel. So I hold out a lot of hope for this one too. I'm excited about it!

-------------------------------------------

So...those are the three books I bought this week on vacation. You should have seen the bookstore. It was awesome. They had all kinds of books there. Usually bookstores like that have an ok adult section, an awful young adult section, and an extensive non-fiction and current events section. But not this one. It had kids, young adult, adult fiction, and not to mention, that extensive non-fiction section :)

Also, in the back that had some sweet toys and stuff. They had some board games, puzzles, and my favorite, mad-libs. Not to mention their AMAZING selection of playing cards. I personally collect fun playing cards (what a nerd) with pictures including baseball, Van Gogh's "Starry Night", Da Vinci's "Mona Lisa", famous women authors, and lots more. I got all excited.

Anyway, since they had such a great selection of young adult books, I had trouble picking out what books to get that wouldn't spend all my money...so this is what I got. Personally, I'm happy with what I bought. Hopefully they'll make good reviews!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! Comments rock! I love getting em...they just make my day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails